Saturday, October 10, 2009

Columbine killer’s mom: ‘No inkling’ on son

"When I first saw ... these writings,
they broke my heart.
I'd had no inkling of the battle
Dylan was waging in his mind."
---Susan Klebold

This from MSNBC:

Mother’s anguish emerges
in Oprah magazine essay on teen's suicide

In the first detailed public remarks by any parent of the two Columbine killers, Dylan Klebold's mother says she had no idea her son was suicidal until she read his journals after the 1999 high school massacre.

Susan Klebold's essay in next month's issue of O, The Oprah Magazine, says she is still struggling to make sense of what happened when her son and Eric Harris killed 12 students and a teacher in the shooting rampage at Columbine High School in suburban Denver. Twenty-one people were injured before Klebold and Harris killed themselves.

"For the rest of my life, I will be haunted by the horror and anguish Dylan caused," she wrote. "I cannot look at a child in a grocery store or on the street without thinking about how my son's schoolmates spent the last moments of their lives. Dylan changed everything I believed about myself, about God, about family, and about love." ...

No comments: