Monday, January 19, 2009

Change is Coming to KSN&C, Prichard to Launch Blog

Since February 2007, I have made 2,700 posts - all from my perspective. News stories, occasional commentary and a few personal items populate the archives. This has been good for me - to develop my voice on Kentucky school issues - but KSN&C may not serve the overall effort to continually improve Kentucky schools as well as it might.

So, I'm opening the doors - a crack - and inviting a few selected individuals in. My New Year's resolution was to add more "voices" to Kentucky School News and Commentary. The process has started. I have dropped the moniker "The Principal" and my use of "we" will be less literary.

In the not-too-distant future, KSN&C readers will notice a group of new contributors. So far, I have two "takers" who have committed to writing commentary at least monthly, and hopefully more frequently, if they choose.

I hope these contributors will reflect a range of opinion on the issues facing our schools and that KSN&C will provide a forum for them to work out their ideas.

The general tone of KSN&C will remain the same: respectful, fact-driven and well-written. While I will continue to try to show both sides of issues by providing a cross-section of news stories, the opinions expressed on the blog will be those of the individual contributors who will write under their own names. And, I am inviting a diverse set of individuals who do not already have a commentary website or blog.

I am also thinking about two categories of new bloggers: Seasoned professionals who have worked to improve Kentucky schools throughout their careers; and some of my students (current educators) who want to develop their leadership skills by writing commentary and contributing to policy-development.

Also adding to the conversation will be Susan Perkins Weston the main author of the new Prichard Blog which is set to launch...later this week....if all goes well.

So stay tuned. The conversation is about to expand.

No comments: