Friday, December 19, 2008

Draud Resigns !

Surprising (but not shocking) news today as Commissioner Jon Draud resigns his position as leader of the state's school system. Draud's five decade career comes to a close following a stroke in September which has made mobility and energy levels a problem.

In a recent conversation with Draud, KSN&C found him to be upbeat and optimistic for a full recovery. But the demanding realities of the commissioner's position surely must have played a major role in his decision to re-prioritize in favor of his personal health. Only the most cynical could blame him.

KSN&C congratulates Commissioner Draud for his ceaseless focus on building a system of schools that is not only equitable, but adequate as well. Good luck on a full recovery...and continued citizen advocacy for Kentucky's schools.

This from KDE by way of KSBA:

DRAUD TENDERS RESIGNATION
FROM COMMISSIONER POST

(FRANKFORT, Ky.) – Jon E. Draud, Kentucky’s fourth commissioner of education, today announced that he would resign the position effective in early February.

“I have informed Joe Brothers, chair of the state Board of Education, that I am resigning my position as Commissioner of Education for the state of Kentucky,” Draud said. “While I feel that I have provided outstanding leadership during my illness, it has caused me to rethink my priorities.”

“Dr. Draud has distinguished himself as an educator and a tireless advocate for education over the past five decades,” said Kentucky Board of Education Chair Joe Brothers. “His service in various leadership roles, including classroom teacher, principal, superintendent, legislator and commissioner, reflect an untiring commitment to public education in Kentucky. His decision to retire is a personal one, and the entire board supports him in that decision.

“We wish him well as he enjoys his family and improving health in the coming years. We shouldn’t be surprised in the future to find that Jon is out there somewhere, advocating for public education in his retirement years.”

Draud was selected as commissioner in November 2007, after serving as a state legislator representing Kentucky’s 63rd District. He was vice-chair of the House Education Committee. Draud also served as director of School/University Partnerships at Northern Kentucky University.

Draud was an associate professor at NKU; superintendent of the Ludlow Independent school district; assistant superintendent of Lockland (Ohio) Public Schools; member of the Kenton County Board of Education; and a school principal and teacher.

In September, Draud suffered a mild stroke that affected his ability to walk. He is currently engaging in physical therapy to strengthen his leg muscles and expects to make a full recovery.

Brothers said that the board will likely schedule a special meeting in January to discuss plans for the future, including consideration of selection of an interim commissioner and the search process to fill the position for the long term.
SOURCE: KSBA Alert
Draud issued the following statement ot members of the Kentucky Board of Education.
“I have informed Joe Brothers, Chair of the State Board of Education, that I am resigning my position as Commissioner of Education for the State of Kentucky, effective in early February.

While I feel that I have provided outstanding leadership during my illness, it has caused me to rethink my priorities.

I appreciate the kindness and cooperation that I have received as Commissioner. It has been an honor to have served with you. I can assure you that I have done my best for the children of Kentucky.”

Governor Beshear's Statement:
“I want to thank Jon Draud for his distinguished career and longstanding commitment to public service in Kentucky, particularly our children. I also wish to extend to Jon my best wishes for his continued and full recovery. As this transition of leadership occurs, I look forward to working with the Board of Education as a new leader is chosen who will move Kentucky forward in our efforts to create the best educational system in America. I am committed to doing whatever it takes to reach that goal – for our children and for our state’s future.”

No comments: