Sunday, November 04, 2007

Larry Vick article in the Messenger-Inquirer

Owensboro Public Schools superintendent
in seventh year at city schools
Larry Vick, in his seventh year as superintendent of Owensboro Public Schools, is one of five finalists for Kentucky education commissioner...

... "I'm honored to be selected as a finalist," Vick said when contacted ... at home.

"I'm looking forward to talking to the state board about my ideas for moving the state forward to that 2014 goal."

... "We've had good results in Owensboro, and I feel like I could share some of our methodology that could be employed by the state," Vick said...

...[Regarding the Erwin selection:] "I felt like I couldn't let that happen again," he said. "But if I didn't think I could do the job, I wouldn't have applied."

Two or three superintendents that Vick would have liked to have seen apply for the job did not, and that opened the door for him, he said.

The state board sent two to three e-mails encouraging Kentucky superintendents to apply, Vick said.

That was a signal to him that board members would take a strong look at candidates from those ranks...

...Before coming to Owensboro he was superintendent of the Paris (Tenn.) Special School District, a K-8 public school system. Owensboro has about 4,300 students in preschool through 12th grade.

The district is meeting all of its No Child Left Behind goals. For the last two years, it has been identified by Standard & Poor's School Evaluation Services as one of 18 "outperforming" districts from 171 in the Kentucky comparison group.

This from the Messenger-Inquirer. (Subscription)

No comments: