Saturday, September 08, 2007

'I just want to die,' assistant principal says

UNION TWP Ohio - An hour after the body of 2-year-old Cecilia Slaby was found in a car seat in the searing heat Aug. 23 at Glen Este Middle School, her mother wept in an interview room at the nearby police station, repeatedly talking about killing herself.

"Oh, my God! I just want to die," Brenda Nesselroad-Slaby said. "I've got to be the most incompetent person on earth."

She buried her head in her hands and cried.

Detectives weren't in the room when she made those comments, recorded on video and released Thursday by the Union Township Police Department. She was talking to her husband, Gary Slaby.

Earlier that day, Nesselroad-Slaby, 40, the assistant principal at Glen Este, had waived her right to remain silent. She explained to police how she forgot Cecilia was in a child seat in the rear passenger compartment of the 1998 Mercedes-Benz.

"Stupid doughnuts," Nesselroad-Slaby said. "How could I not think of my daughter?"

She had left her home in Symmes Township about 6:15 a.m., intending to drop off Cecilia by 7 a.m. at a baby sitter's house on Picket Way in Union Township.

"When I rushed out of the house this morning, I decided I couldn't take her to the sitter's first, because I was too early," she told police.

At 6:54 a.m., Nesselroad-Slaby bought eight dozen doughnuts at the Busken Bakery at 956 Old Ohio 74 for co-workers planning for the first day of school Aug. 27.

"I was trying to be everything to everybody - and I failed my daughter," she said with a sob.
"Where I messed myself up (was going) straight to school" after the bakery, she said. "And then because I did that, everything else left my mind." ...

This from the Cincinnati Enquirer.


No comments: