Tuesday, September 18, 2007

College life 101

You can buy all the coolest and newest dorm room supplies. You can buy your books, schedule your classes and fill your closet with official college-team sportswear. But nothing totally prepares one for your first week of college. My first five weeks at the University of Kentucky were nothing short of amazing. . .

Last month, I was raring to go. My parents moved me into my dorm and then left me to fend for myself on UK's campus, which was abuzz with move-in's, lawn parties, movies on big screens and free food everywhere. The awesome official "K-Week" activities included a charter bus ride to Meijer Mania, where there was yet more free stuff and promotional sales. There was a Student Center Spectacular and an open-house in the new "hub" of the W.T. Young Library.

On Sunday night there was a picnic with UK's first lady, Patsy Todd. But Monday was the most awesome experience of all. More than 1,000 UK students and staff gathered on Haggin Field and then fanned out to perfom mission work in the Lexington area. More than 5,000 hours of community service were performed at 63 sites on that day alone. I worked with five other girls at the Explorium, a Lexington children's museum. We painted primer on the walls of a huge children's playroom in the middle of downtown Lexington.

Then, on Wed., Aug. 22, classes started, and I'm just now coming up for air. It's been more difficult than I anticipated. Much is expected of students at UK -- many hours of reading, writing and independent study. I really wasn't ready to work this hard, but I can honestly say that I LOVE TO LEARN. I love being with professors who really know their stuff, who want their students to learn and to succeed, and who engage students to help propel them toward successful careers. . .

My motto for college freshmen is "Engage Yourself." But classes and hours of homework aren't the only engaging elements of campus life. There's also the sheer excitement of college sports, and the campus spirit on game day. I've also made new friends in the fellowship of a campus ministry, and all of this, my friends, is what college is all about!

This Op Ed by Rebecca Owens, from the Courier-Journal.

No comments: